It’s December and we made it. 50,017 words that are a continuation of the unedited 50,000 words I created last year. The idea is to get those 50,000 words entered as a story or group of related stories during one month. What I found out is the miserable number of reallys I found all over the place. They weren’t in there to fluff up the word count. They were a part of my writing style. I was amazed.
After I made that conclusion, I started looking more carefully as I was writing. I don’t know how many times I had to back up and remove a really that had snuck in even though I was watching for them.
I need to make the surrounding writing descriptive enough to let the reader know it is important without tacking on a really. I am scared to run a find and replace to get rid of the ones I missed. Perhaps I will stop and look at the situations to see why I thought a really would help.
Strong writing doesn’t need crutches to hold it up. So I am going to be kicking the crutches out to see if my work is still standing. Will let you know what I find.